Adapted from NY Times
- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 ½ pounds zucchini, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 ½ cups milk or half-and-half
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- A few torn basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter for greasing baking dish
- 4 ounces grated cheese, such as Gruyère or Cheddar
- Heat oven to 375. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add zucchini and blanch for 1 minute. Drain and spread zucchini out to cool on a towel. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Beat eggs and milk with 1/2 teaspoon salt, then add nutmeg, thyme and basil leaves.
- Butter a 2-quart low-sided baking dish, and arrange blanched zucchini over bottom. Scatter cheese over zucchini, then pour in custard.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until custard is still a bit jiggly, but an inserted knife comes out clean. Cool to room temperature before serving.