Split Chicken with Sumac and Thymeourharvest.com/recipes/split-chicken-with-sumac-and-thyme
Prep Time: 130 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Ready In: 170 Minutes
- 1 Split, Whole Pastured Chicken
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp Fresh Thyme (leaves finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp Garlic
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp Sumac
- 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 tablespoon Black Pepper (freshly ground)
- 0.5 cups + 1 tbsp Canola Oil
- Whisk together the oil, 2 tablespoons of garlic, 1 tablespoon of thyme and 2 tablespoons of Sumac a large baking dish. Add the chicken and turn to coat in the oil. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 8 hours.
- Preheat the grill to medium. Remove the chicken from the marinade and season both sides with salt, pepper and remaining tablespoon of Sumac.
- Place the chicken on the grill, skin side down and slowly grill until the fat renders and the skin becomes golden brown and crisp, about 15 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over, close the cover and continue grilling until just cooked through, about 20 minutes longer.
- Remove from the grill, loosely tent with foil and let rest 10 minutes before cutting.
- Mix together the remaining oil, garlic, thyme and Sumac and sprinkle over the cut chicken. Garnish with thyme sprigs and serve!