- 5 cloves Garlic, one clove halved and 4 cloves minced, divided
- 1 tablespoon Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 2 Shallots, quartered through root ends
- 2.5 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper, ground
- 1 tablespoon Thyme leaves
- 4 pound Potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold, scrubbed and sliced finely on a mandoline
- 4 ounce Alpha Tolman Cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cut 1 clove of garlic in half and rub the inside of a 3-qt shallow baking dish. Then take the 1 tablespoon butter and smear it all over the inside of the dish.
- In a small saucepan, bring the heavy cream, shallots, salt, pepper, thyme, and remaining 4 minced garlic cloves to a simmer over low heat. Cook until shallots and garlic are very soft, roughly 15-20 minutes. Let cool for five minutes. Then transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Arrange potato slices in the prepared baking dish. Fan them out a few at a time, layering them at an angle on the bottom of the dish. Tuck away any remaining slices into gaps. Pour the shallot cream mixture evenly over the potatoes and then cover tightly with foil. Bake for 70-75 minutes until tender. Remove from the oven.
- Place your oven rack in the highest position, and turn on your broiler.
- Remove foil from the potatoes and top with the Alpha Tolman cheese. Place in the oven to broil for 3-7 minutes, depending on your broiler. The cheese will be bubbling and the potato gratin will be golden brown. Watch your oven as this can happen quickly! Top with extra thyme leaves and serve.