Palak's Fried Chickenourharvest.com/recipes/palaks-fried-chicken
- 3 pound Bone-In Chicken Thighs
- 1.25 cups plus 2 tbsp Kosher Salt
- 0.25 cup Granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 3 tablespoon Paprika
- 2 quart Buttermilk
- 2 tablespoon Vodka
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 0.5 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Oregano
- 4 cup Peanut Oil
- In large zipper-lock plastic bag, combine 1.25 cups of Kosher salt, .25 cups granulated sugar, 1 tbsp of cayenne pepper, 1 tbsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 2 tbsp paprika.
- Pour mixture into large plastic container or nonreactive stockpot. Add 7 cups buttermilk and stir until salt is completely dissolved. Immerse chicken and refrigerate until fully seasoned, overnight or 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk brine and shake off excess; place in single layer on large wire rack set over rimmed baking sheet. Refrigerate uncovered for 2 hours. (After 2 hours, chicken can be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated up to 6 hours longer.)
- Measure flour into large shallow dish. Add salt and remaining spices and mix well.
- Beat vodka, baking powder, and baking soda in medium bowl; stir in remaining 1-cup buttermilk (mixture will bubble and foam).
- Working in batches of 3, drop chicken pieces in flour and shake pan to coat. Shake excess flour from each piece, then, using tongs, dip chicken pieces into egg mixture, turning to coat well and allowing excess to drip off.
- Coat chicken pieces with flour again, shake off excess, and return to wire rack.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position, set second wire rack over second rimmed baking sheet, and place on oven rack; heat oven to 200 F. Line large plate with double layer paper towels.
- Meanwhile, heat oil (oil should have 2 1/2-inch depth in pan) to 350 F over medium-high heat in large 8-quart cast-iron Dutch oven with a diameter of about 12 inches.
- Place half of chicken pieces skin-side down in oil, cover, and reduce heat to medium, and fry until deep golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
- After about 3 minutes, lift chicken pieces with tongs to check for even browning; rearrange if some pieces are browning faster than others. (Spot-check oil temperature; after first 6 minutes of frying, oil should be about 325 F. Adjust burner if necessary.)
- Turn chicken pieces over and continue to fry, uncovered, until chicken pieces are deep golden brown on second side, 6 to 8 minutes longer.
- Using tongs, transfer chicken to paper towel-lined plate; let stand 2 minutes to drain, then transfer to rack in warm oven.
- Replace paper towel lining on plate. Return oil to 375 F and fry remaining pieces, transferring pieces to paper towel-lined plate to drain, then transferring to wire rack with other chicken pieces. Cool chicken pieces on wire rack about 5 minutes and serve.