Mashed Yellow Turnips with Crispy Onionsourharvest.com/recipes/mashed-yellow-turnips-with-crispy-onions
- 4 pound Yellow Turnips or Rutabega
- 3 Yellow Onions (sliced into thin rings)
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 6 tablespoon Salted Butter
- 1.5 cup Sunflower Oil or other high heat oil
- 3 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil and unsalted butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat until it reaches 220 degrees F.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the onions, and cook until they are a rich golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure they brown evenly. The temperature should stay below 260 degrees F.
- Remove them from the oil with a slotted spoon, drain well, and spread out to cool on paper towels. Once they have dried and crisped, they can be stored at room temperature, covered, for several days.
- Peel the turnips to remove the waxy skins and cut them into generous 1-inch chunks.
- Place them in a saucepan with water to cover and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, until easily pierced by a paring knife, about 35 minutes. Drain.
- In a separate saucepan, heat the milk and salted butter over low heat until the butter has melted and the milk just begins to simmer.
- Puree the turnips in several batches in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. With the motor running, add the melted butter and milk in a steady stream. The turnips should be smooth.
- Return the puree to the saucepan, season with 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper, and reheat, stirring, over medium heat.
- Serve piping hot, sprinkled generously with crispy onions.