Adapted from a recipe from Elise Bauer
Homemade Popcorn with Stinky Salt
- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 3 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup Popcorn Kernels
- 2 teaspoon Aleppo Pepper Brown Butter
- Heat the oil in a 3-quart thick-bottomed saucepan on medium high heat. If you are using coconut oil, allow all of the solid oil to melt
- Put 3 or 4 test popcorn kernels into the oil
- When the test kernels pop, add the rest of the 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels in an even layer. Cover and remove from heat and count 30 seconds
- Meanwhile, in the microwave, melt the brown butter and set aside for when the popcorn is ready.
- Return the pan to the heat. The popcorn should begin popping soon, and all at once. Once the popping starts in earnest, gently shake the pan by moving it back and forth over the burner
- Once the popping slows to several seconds between pops, remove the pan from the heat, remove the lid, and dump the popcorn immediately into a wide bowl
- Top with the melted brown butter, add stinky salt or sea salt to taste, and then toss to combine.