Herb Butter Turkeyourharvest.com/recipes/herb-butter-turkey
- Whole Turkey
- 1 cup (16 tbsp) Butter
- 2 tsp, minced plus 15 sprigs Thyme
- 2 tsp, minced plus 5 sprigs Rosemary
- 2 tsp, minced plus 5 sprigs Sage
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- Mix ½ cup butter and all minced herbs in small bowl; season herb butter with salt and pepper.
- Set rack at lowest position in oven and preheat to 425°F.
- Rinse turkey inside and out; pat dry.
- Starting at neck end, slide hand between skin and breast meat to loosen skin. Rub 4 tablespoons herb butter over breast meat under skin.
- Place turkey on rack set in large roasting pan.
- Sprinkle cavity generously with salt and pepper, and place 4 tablespoons plain butter and all fresh herb sprigs inside.
- Tuck wing tips under the bird and tie the legs together loosely.
- Rub remaining herb butter over outside of turkey. Sprinkle turkey generously with salt and pepper.
- Place turkey in oven and roast 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Roast turkey 30 minutes, and then pour 1 cup broth over and add 1 tablespoon plain butter to roasting pan.
- Roast turkey 30 minutes; baste with pan juices, then pour 1 cup broth over and add 1 tablespoon butter to pan. Cover turkey loosely with foil.
- Roast turkey, basting with pan juices and adding 1 cup broth and 1 tablespoon butter to pan every 45 minutes, about 1 hour 45 minutes longer. The turkey is done when a thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175°F.
- Transfer turkey to platter; let stand 30 minutes (internal temperature will rise 5 to 10 degrees), then carve and enjoy!