Adapted from Ina Garten
Fresh Peach Cake
- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup creme fraiche, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large ripe peaches
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- To peel peaches, score an "X" in the bottom of each peach. Place in a pot of boiling water for 30-60 seconds. Remove peaches to a bowl of ice water. Once cooled, use a paring knife to remove skin. Remove pit and thinly slice the peaches.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch-square baking pan.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and 1 cup of the sugar for 3 to 5 minutes on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. With the mixer on low, add the eggs, one at a time, then the creme fraiche and vanilla, and mix until the batter is smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the batter and mix just until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/3 cup sugar and the cinnamon.
- Spread half of the batter evenly in the pan. Top with half of the peaches, then sprinkle with two-thirds of the sugar mixture. Spread the remaining batter on top, arrange the remaining peaches on top and sprinkle with the remaining sugar mixture and the pecans.
- Bake the cake for 45 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature.