Adapted from Bon Appetit
Contagious Kale Salad
- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Shallots (minced)
- 1 Garlic Clove (finely grated)
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
- 3/4 lb Kale (cut into pieces)
- 3/4 lb Brussels Sprouts
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (divided)
- 1/2 cup Raw Almonds (chopped)
- 1 cup Finely Grated Pecorino or Parmigiano Reggiano
- Combine lemon juice, Dijon mustard, shallots, garlic, ½ tsp. salt and a pinch of pepper in a small bowl. Stir to blend; set aside to let flavors meld.
- Mix thinly sliced kale and shredded Brussel sprouts in a large bowl.
- Measure ½ cup oil into a cup. Spoon 1 Tbsp. oil from cup into a small skillet; heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add almonds to skillet and stir frequently until golden brown in spots, about 2 minutes. Transfer nuts to a paper towel-lined plate. (Skip if almonds already roasted)
- Slowly whisk remaining olive oil in cup into lemon-juice mixture. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
- If you would like to prep ahead, do the following: Dressing, kale mixture and toasted almonds can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover dressing and kale mixture separately and chill. Cover almonds and let stand at room temperature. Add dressing and cheese to kale mixture; toss to coat. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Garnish with almonds.