Classic Vegan Gravyourharvest.com/recipes/classic-vegan-gravy
- 16 ounces Mushrooms, diced
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced finely
- 5 cloves Garlic, minced
- 5 cups Water
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Vinegar (white or apple cider)
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 5 tablespoons Olive Oil + more for sautéing
- 0.75 cup Flour
- 1 sprig Sage
- 1 sprig Thyme
- In a large pan, heat some olive oil over medium high heat. Once hot, add the diced mushrooms and onions. Let cook until soft, about 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Next, add the minced garlic, sprig of thyme, and sprig of sage. Or feel free to add other herbs you like! Let cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Next, add the 5 cups of water, sugar, vinegar, and salt to the pan and bring to a simmer. Then turn the heat down to low.
- Now onto the roux. In a small sauce pan, heat 5 tbsp of olive oil on medium heat. Once hot, gradually add in your flour little by little mixing the whole time.
- Cook the roux on medium heat for 1-2 minutes to make sure the flour cooks through. Stir constantly.
- Take some of the mushroom liquid and gradually add it to the roux pan little by little to thin it out. Do this slowly to prevent separation.
- Once the roux resembles pancake batter, add it into the mushroom pan and stir to incorporate.
- Let the gravy thicken and taste for seasoning. Try using soy sauce to make it saltier, or maple syrup for sweetness!