Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay
Butterflied Chicken with Thyme, Lemon, and Garlic
- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons, plus 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic, salt made a paste
- 2 tablespoons, plus 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (3-pound) whole chicken, butterflied
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Whisk together the oil, 2 tablespoons of the garlic, 2 tablespoons of the thyme, 1 tablespoon of the lemon zest and 1 tablespoon of onion in a large baking dish. Add the chicken and turn to coat in the oil. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 8 hours.
- Preheat the grill to medium. Remove the chicken from the marinade and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken on the grill, skin side down and slowly grill until the fat renders and the skin becomes golden brown and crisp, about 15 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over, close the cover and continue grilling until just cooked through, about 20 minutes longer.
- Remove from the grill, loosely tent with foil and let rest 10 minutes before cutting.
- Mix together the remaining garlic, thyme and 1 tablespoon of lemon zest and sprinkle over the cut chicken.