Adapted from bonappetit
Best-Ever Grilled Cheese
- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 2 slices ½”-thick Pullman or other white bread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 ounces thinly sliced cheddar (about 4 slices)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place bread on a cutting board and spread mayonnaise over top side of each; this is key to a golden, delectable crunch.
- Heat a small skillet (nonstick, ideally) over medium. Slide in half of butter.
- When it melts, place 1 slice of bread, mayonnaise side down, in skillet; top with cheese; season with pepper. Top with second slice of bread, mayonnaise side up.
- When underside is golden brown, about 4 minutes, turn sandwich and add remaining butter to skillet.
- Press down on sandwich to encourage even browning and to help melt cheese—be gentle, don’t smash it.
- Cook until second side is golden brown and cheese is melted.