Local Calderwood near New York, NY from Jasper Hill Farms
- Calderwood is a hay-coated raw cow’s milk cheese made
exclusively for Saxelby Cheesemongers by their good friends at Jasper Hill
Farm. The genesis for Calderwood came from a desire to explore how what the
cows eat impacts the finished cheese - both in the superior milk quality that
comes from grass fed cows, but also through affinage. The wheels are washed
with brine for six months before being coated in finely chopped fibers of hay
and sealed in cryovac. Calderwood is then aged for an additional four months in
the cryovac, allowing the hay to impart toasty and tropical flavor notes to the
cheese. The cheeses are unbagged and allowed to age for one additional month to
allow the microflora of the cave to interact with the rind. Ripe Calderwood is
firm, nutty, and complex with hints of earth, caramel, chestnut honey, toasted
bread and tropical fruit.
- The hay used to make Calderwood is harvested from pastures surrounding Jasper Hill Farm and dried at the Calderwood Cropping Center, the first hay-drying machine of its kind in the United States. Jasper Hill Farm's founders, Andy and Mateo Kehler, observed a hay dryer in action in Parma Italy, a region whose cheese calls for grass-fed milk, but whose climate is too wet for making consistent, high-quality dry hay, and were inspired to bring the Italian technology stateside. Calderwood Cropping Center allows Jasper Hill to make superlative dry hay to feed their cows year-round, which is paramount to their quality standards as cheesemakers. Many of Jasper Hill's award-winning cheeses are crafted from raw milk, and good quality hay is a key ingredient in the cheesemaking process. It ensures that the microbiology of the cows' digestive systems and the milk itself is at optimal quality for cheesemaking.
- This cow's milk cheese is raw, uses an animal rennet, and is aged 9-10 months.
- Each order contains 1 piece of cheese (~1/2 lb)
- Ingredients: raw cow's milk, salt, animal rennet, cultures, hay
Also from Jasper Hill Farms